Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Address to Congress

If you needed some hope in these hard times maybe you got it. Tonight President Obama came before congress to address them on his plans for the future.

Now is the time to jump-start job creation, re-start lending, and invest in areas like energy, health care, and education that will grow our economy, even as we make hard choices to bring our deficit down. That is what my economic agenda is designed to do, and that is what I'd like to talk to you about tonight.” When the president says lending does he mean people taking out loans to buy houses, like houses they can’t afford?

Over -- over the next two years, this plan will save or create 3.5 million jobs.” Well which is it? If you save 3.5 million jobs good for you, only downside is there are still millions without jobs.

And Americans -- and Americans who have lost their jobs in this recession will be able to receive extended unemployment benefits and continued health care coverage to help them weather this storm.” So I won’t have to go everyday looking for work because my neighbor has my back? I mean who’s paying for these extended benefits?

I know there are some in this chamber and watching at home who are skeptical of whether this plan will work, and I understand that skepticism. Here in Washington, we've all seen how quickly good intentions can turn into broken promises and wasteful spending. And with a plan of this scale comes enormous responsibility to get it right. And that's why I've asked Vice President Biden to lead a tough, unprecedented oversight effort, because nobody messes with Joe.” Well I feel better. Very-Positive (VP) Joe is in charge so everything is going to be alright?

I have told each of my cabinet…that they will be held accountable by me and the American people for every dollar they spend.” Well that’s good, but I’d also like some of them pay their taxes first.

When there's no lending, families can't afford to buy homes or cars, so businesses are forced to make layoffs. Our economy suffers even more, and credit dries up even further.” Yet I feel a certain someone is still no getting it.

“…we have launched a housing plan that will help responsible families facing the threat of foreclosure lower their monthly payments and refinance their mortgages.” Hello I’m we’re Mr. and Mrs. Responsible, is that good enough for ya?

History reminds us that, at every moment of economic upheaval and transformation, this nation has responded with bold action and big ideas.” Yeah and one of them prolonged the Depression.


Hopefully you were able to listen closely to the president’s words and weren’t distracted by Speaker of the House Nancy “Tigger” Pelosi. Now if you are feeling reassured I hope you aren’t doing it blindly. Here’s what I mean; if you start questioning the actions of President Obama and his administration but he gives you a positive talk, do your problem really go away? Or are you simply allowing yourself to go along with his agenda simply because he’s supposed to be this great agent of change and he isn’t George W. Bush? You need to realize that this is your future and your children’s futures we’re talking about here. While I wish this president success I have the right to voice my opinion. This is my country too – government of the people, by the people, for the people. And if people have a problem they can have their own little address to congress.

No comments: