Friday, January 18, 2008

Petty Quarrels

With it being election year, many Americans are sharing their opinions with where they stand with the candidates. But of course it’s not just campaign supporters, protesters, or bloggers voicing their thoughts, the press are also making themselves heard. And perhaps this week no journalist did a better job than Associated Press reporter Glen Johnson. Republican candidate Mitt Romney was speaking at a South Carolina Staple’s store when Johnson interrupted the politician when he stated that he did not have lobbyists running his campaign.

Johnson challenged Romney, saying that the candidate did in fact have lobbyists running his campaign- pointing out that Ron Kaufman (Romney senior advisor) was a lobbyist. "Did you hear what I said? Did you hear what I said? ... I said I don't have lobbyists running my campaign. He's not running my campaign,” said Romney shooting back. The quarrel continued to go back and forth, reminding me of hearing heated disagreements when I was in U.S. History. Romney later invited Johnson on his chartered plane, saying he would explain the campaign structure to him.

So what does this mean for Romney? Well odds are this story is just going to die out with every other problem or insult Romney has faced. And with McCain and Huckabee supposedly leading in South Carolina, Romney knows there are more important issues to worry about than petty quarrels.




No comments: